Monday, December 6, 2010

Carmelo Bongiorno and Mario Giacomelli

Two photographers I admire and try to emulate at times are Mario Giacomelli and Carmelo Bongiorno.
They are both from Italy and both work in black and white. I believe Carmelo is still shooting film. I have actually developed a correspondence with him as I had asked him some questions for a report I did on him last spring and we have been chatting via email since that time.
Mario was known for his super high contrast black and white images, often reducing the tonal range to a shade of black and a shade of white with not much in between. He shot a wide range of subject ranging from street work, landscape, abstraction and the like. His compositions and point of view often added a surreal feeling to his images.This image is one of Mario's more famous images I believe and is a good example of the work I feel most drawn to.

Carmelo also works in black and white and his imagery is very surreal. I am impressed by his ability to make fantastic images not only in ideal situations but also in settings that would seem mundane to most. He has won many awards and gallery appearances throughout Europe. I can see the influence Mario had on Carmelo in many images. I like the controlled motion he uses and the fact that he can repeat and achieve consistent results show the mastery he has over the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment